Latest civil service & public affairs moves — March 20
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
House of Commons
- Science and Technology Committee – Gareth Snell replaced Roberta Blackman-Woods as member.
- Justice Committee – Jo Stevens replaced Marie Rimmer as a member.
- Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee – Antoinette Sandbach replaced Kelly Tolhurst as member.
- Committee on Standards - Tammy Banks, Rita Dexter and Paul Thorogood appointed as lay members from the end of the month.
- Department for Work and Pensions: Pensions Advisory Service – Ann Harris appointed as chair.
- Department for International Trade: UK Export Finance – Davinder Mann appointed as head of legal division.
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Sharon Wardle has been appointed Her Majesty's Ambassador to the Republic of Gambia; Alison Kemp has been appointed Her Majesty's Ambassador to Montenegro.
- Department for Transport: Tim Blackmore OBE and Simon Evans appointed as traffic commissioners for the North East and the North West respectively.
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport: Youth Full-Time Social Action Review – Steve Holliday announced as the chair.
- By-election Results 16th March: Blackpool Council – Michele Scott elected for Warbreck – Conservative hold; Breckland Council – Theresa Hewett elected for Saham Toney – Conservative hold; Newcastle upon Tyne Council – Clare Penny-Evans elected for South Heaton – Labour hold; South Ribble Council – Carol Ann Chisholm elected for Walton-le-Dale East – Conservative hold.
Industry and interest groups
- The Evening Standard – George Osborne is to become the editor from mid-May.
- Royal College of General Practitioners - Neil Hunt stood down as Chief Executive, Valerie Vaughan-Dick is to take the role on an interim basis.
- The Whitehouse Consultancy – Samantha Gibson joined as director.
- PLMR - Simon Darby appointed as senior account manager.
Unpaid extra hours mean many public sector staff are effectively earning below the minimum wage...
Tony Meggs interview: Infrastructure chief on improving delivery and getting project management professionals into Whitehall's most senior roles
After a career at the top of industry, Tony Meggs joined the civil service to lead Whitehall’s...
Family-focused pilot scheme will allow staff to return to the UK every weekend
Cabinet minister highlights government's 'growing consensus' on Brexit...
BT takes a look at the shifting nature of cyber threats, and how organisations can detect and...
Microsoft shows a few of the ways that governments can turn data into insight
With the ‘low-hanging fruit’ exhausted, the public sector must approach new government saving...
TCS is keen to contribute to the topic of successful partnerships between the public and private...