Latest civil service & public affairs moves — October 9
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Carolyn Davidson has been appointed Her Majesty’s ambassador to the Republic of Guatemala in succession to Tom Carter; Tom Carter has been appointed Her Majesty’s non-resident ambassador to the Republic of Honduras in succession to Carolyn Davidson; Nick Archer has been appointed Her Majesty's ambassador to the Czech Republic in succession to Jan Thompson, starting in January; Rachel Galloway has been appointed Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Republic of Macedonia in succession to Charles Garrett, starting in July.
- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy: Paul Uppal appointed to the newly-established post of small business commissioner.
- Ministry of Defence: Single Source Regulations Office – Marcine Waterman to stand down as chief executive on 24th October. Neil Swift to take the role on an interim basis.
- Department for Exiting the European Union: Chris Hobley replaces Catherine Webb as director, market access and budget; Phelim Usher-Purves to become a policy adviser.
- Cabinet Office: Catherine Webb named as director, EU internal issues.
- Department for International Development: Matthew Rycroft to become the new permanent secretary from January.
- UKIP: Henry Bolton elected as the new leader.
- Scottish Government: Scottish Fire and Rescue Service – Kirsty Darwent replaced Pat Watters as chair.
Local Authorities: by-election results 5 October
- Adur Council – Lee Andrew Cohen elected for Mash Barn – Labour gain from UKIP.
- Cheshire East Council – Joy Bratherton elected for Crewe East – Labour hold.
- Hertsmere Council – Jeremy Newmark elected for Borehamwood Kenilworth – Labour gain from Conservative.
- Hinckley and Bosworth Council – David William MacDonald elected for Burbage Sketchley and Stretton – Conservative hold.
- Redcar and Cleveland Council – Deborah Lynne Dowson elected for St Germains – Liberal Democrat hold.
- Salford City – Mike Pevitt elected for Claremont – Labour hold.
- South Bucks Council – Matt Bezzant elected for Burnham Lent Rise & Taplow – Conservative hold.
- Warwick Council – Trevor Alexander Churchill Wright elected for Stoneleigh & Cubbinton – Conservative hold.
- Independent Press Standards Organisation Complaints Committee – Nazir Afzal, Miranda Winram and Andrew Pettie appointed as members.
- Cancer Research UK – Harpal Kumar to stand down as chief executive in the spring.
- Social Investment Business – Nick Temple to become chief executive in January.
- St John Ambulance – Martin Houghton-Brown to become chief executive in January.
- Delineate – Paul Edwards to become a board member.
Staff at agency near the bottom of the civil service pay satisfaction table, but unable to take...
Public appointment commissioner lauds progress on gender diversity but brands record for...
ONS figures reveal 300 staff moving from BEIS to DfE following shift in responsibility for...
Automation can create jobs with the right policies in place,...
BT takes a look at the shifting nature of cyber threats, and how organisations can detect and...
Microsoft shows a few of the ways that governments can turn data into insight
With the ‘low-hanging fruit’ exhausted, the public sector must approach new government saving...
TCS is keen to contribute to the topic of successful partnerships between the public and private...