Latest civil service & public affairs moves — August 12
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
- See the makeup of the new government, including the ongoing Parliamentary Private Secretary announcements here
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy: Low Carbon Contracts Company and Electricity Settlements Company - Regina Finn appointed as Chair.
- Ministry of Justice: Investigatory Powers Tribunal – Andrew Knight, Charles Flint and Susan O’Brien reappointed as members.
- Department for Work and Pensions: Social Security Advisory Committee - Liz Sayce named as chair from 1 September, on an interim basis, replacing Ian Diamond.
- Forestry Commission: Julia Grant reappointed as a commissioner.
- UK Statistics Authority/Office of National Statistics: Ian Diamond appointed as the national statistician, chief executive of the UK Statistics Authority, permanent secretary of the Office for National Statistics and head of the Government Statistical Service.
- Labour Party: Alex Sobel named as the parliamentary private secretary to the shadow foreign secretary.
- Conservative Party: Helen Whately reappointed, and Paul Scully appointed, as deputy chair; Alec Shelbrooke reappointed, and Andrew Bowie, David Evennett, Helen Grant, Ranil Jayawardena and Caroline Johnson appointed, as vice-chairs.
- Northern Ireland Government: Northern Ireland Housing Executive – Chris Welch appointed as a member of the board.
By-election Results 8 August:Worcester Council – Mel Allcott elected for Claines – Liberal Democrat gain from Conservatives. (Stuart Denlegh-Maxwell died); East Northamptonshire Council – Lee Walker elected for Irthlingborough Waterloo – Conservative hold. (Marika Hillson resigned); Cambridge Council – Josh Matthews elected for Newnham – Liberal Democrat hold. (Lucy Nethsingha resigned as elected as an MEP).
If you and your organisation would like to be included in this section, then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nesta: Ravi Gurumurthy to replace Geoff Mulgan as chief executive at the end of the year.
- World Land Trust: Jonathan Barnard to replace John Burton as chief executive in September.
- Cats Protection: Catherine Cottrell appointed as director of income generation, starting on 23 September.
- National Council for Voluntary Organisations: Peter Kellner to stand down as chair at the end of November.
- Royal National Institute of Blind People: Stuart Fox to become director of finance, having been in the role on an interim basis.
Prime ministers often want to leave their mark on Whitehall, but there are good reasons to rage...
No timeframe on when work will conclude but plans are being made for information to be...
One of the leading figures in a civil service reform drive has set out details of how to create...
Home Office told to change policy on asylum decisions after High Court ruling on trafficking victims
Department had said reason for policy included that it required less work for officials
BT takes a look at the shifting nature of cyber threats, and how organisations can detect and...
Microsoft shows a few of the ways that governments can turn data into insight
With the ‘low-hanging fruit’ exhausted, the public sector must approach new government saving...
TCS is keen to contribute to the topic of successful partnerships between the public and private...