Latest civil service & public affairs moves — December 4
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
- Northern Ireland Office: Northern Ireland Policing Board - Tom Frawley, Doug Garrett and Colm McKenna to become independent members, Keith Buchanan, Joanne Bunting, Gary Middleton and Mervyn Storey to become DUP members, Gerry Kelly, Linda Dillon and Philip McGuigan to become Sinn Fein members, John Blair to become the Alliance member and Alan Chambers to become the UUP members.
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Hugh Philpott has been appointed Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Turkmenistan.
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy: Low Pay Commission – Bryan Sanderson to become chair on 1 January, having been in the role on an interim basis.
- Department for Transport: Claire Gilmore to replace Joan Aitken as traffic commissioner for Scotland from February.
- Competition and Markets Authority: Kip Meek appointed to the panel and named as an inquiry chair.
- Northern Ireland Assembly: Emma Sheerin to replace Ian Milne as Sinn Fein MLA for the Mid Ulster constituency.
- Scottish Government: Scottish Funding Council: Karen Watt to replace John Kemp as chief executive on 14 January.
- Lincolnshire County Council: Keith Ireland to stand down as chief executive.
- Blackburn with Darwen Council: Harry Catherall to retire as chief executive at Easter.
- By-election Results 29 November: Oldham Council – Elizabeth Jacques elected for Failsworth East – Labour hold. (Cheryl Brock resigned); Warwickshire Council - Dominic Skinner elected for Stratford North – Liberal Democrat gain from Stratford First Independents. (Keith Lloyd died); Oxfordshire Council – Tim Bearder elected for Wheatley – Liberal Democrat hold. (Kirsten Johnson resigned); Buckinghamshire Council – Anders Christensen elected for Aylesbury North-West – Liberal Democrat hold. (Martin Farrow resigned); Northampton Council – Emam Roberts elected for Delapre and Briar Hill – Labour hold. (Victoria Culbard resigned); Welwyn Hatfield Council – Paul Smith elected for Welwyn West – Conservative hold. (Mandy Perkins died); Bromley Council – Christine Harris elected for Kelsey and Eden Park – Conservative hold. (Dave Wibberley resigned).
- Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders: George Gillespie to replace Tony Walker as president on 1 January.
- Maritime UK: Harry Theochari appointed as Chair and Sarah Kenny as vice-chair.
- Public First: Jonathan Simons appointed as a director.
- APCO: James Acheson-Gray to stand down as UK managing director.
- Macmillan: Claire Rowney appointed as executive director of fundraising.
- Cafod: Christine Allen to join as director.
- The Access Project: Nathan Sansom to become chief executive.
- The British Geriatrics Society: Sarah Mistry to replace Colin Nee as chief executive.
- Mencap: Paul Stevenson to become chief finance officer.
Latest Oxford University ranking sees Whitehall rise to global top spot from fourth-best
Former national security adviser Sir Mark Lyall Grant says leaks may undermine...
Opinion: The UK civil service may be the world’s best, but even a Rolls Royce needs a competent driver
At a time when Brexit is revealing a lot about UK governance, a new report has found the British...
Permanent secretary Peter Schofield details cost of deploying hundreds of civil servants to deal...
BT takes a look at the shifting nature of cyber threats, and how organisations can detect and...
Microsoft shows a few of the ways that governments can turn data into insight
With the ‘low-hanging fruit’ exhausted, the public sector must approach new government saving...
TCS is keen to contribute to the topic of successful partnerships between the public and private...