Latest civil service & public affairs moves — May 7
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
- Gavin Williamson was sacked as secretary of state for defence.
- Penny Mordaunt appointed as secretary of state for defence (formerly secretary of state for international development).
- Rory Stewart appointed as secretary of state for international development (formerly minister of state, Ministry of Justice).
- Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport: Office of Communications: Julie Pirone and Stephen Spiers appointed as members of the Advisory Committee for Scotland.
- Northern Ireland Office: Local Government Pension Scheme for Northern Ireland: Lindsay Todd named as Chair, Mark McBride as Independent Member and Paddy Mackel as Employee Representative Member.
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Marshall Aid Commemoration Commission: Adam Smith, Adrian Greer, Judith Buchanan and Leslie Vinjamuri appointed as members; Melinda Simmons has been appointed Her Majesty’s Ambassador to Ukraine.
- Department for Work and Pensions: Industrial Injuries Advisory Council - Raymond Agius named as an independent member.
- Department of Health and Social Care: Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency – John Wilkinson to retire as director of devices in October.
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy: Committee on Fuel Poverty - Anuradha Singh appointed as a member.
Houses of Parliament
- House of Commons: Fiona Onasanya removed as MP for Peterborough. A by-election will take place in due course; Intelligence and Security Committee of Parliament – Stewart Hosie replaced Ian Blackford as a member; Statutory Instruments Joint Committee – Susan Elan Jones replaced Dan Carden as member
- National Assembly for Wales: Standards of Conduct Committee - Gareth Bennett removed as a member.
- Welsh Government: Care Inspectorate Wales - Margaret Rooney became deputy chief inspector.
- Scottish Parliament: Kezia Dugdale to stand down as an MSP for Lothian this summer and will be replaced by Sarah Boyack.
If you and your organisation would like to be included in this section, then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Road Safety Foundation: Kate Fuller named as road safety engineering director.
- Seafarers UK: Catherine Spencer appointed as chief executive, starting in July.
- Action on Hearing: Michael Wilkinson appointed as digital director.
- FTI Consulting: Stephen Day named as head of issues and campaigns.
Health department says ‘all large-scale operations’ experience similar challenges
PM steps in to stop chief science and medial officers from answering press questions on top...
Cabinet Office 'urgently' seeking 30 deputy directors to bolster coronavirus response across government
Up to £118,000 and 'opportunity to make a real difference' on offer amid Covid-19 pandemic
Sedwill says unprecedented media briefing was "appropriate" as it concerned spad's conduct in...
How can local authorities and government departments ensure that civil servants are able to...
BT takes a look at the shifting nature of cyber threats, and how organisations can detect and...
Microsoft shows a few of the ways that governments can turn data into insight
With the ‘low-hanging fruit’ exhausted, the public sector must approach new government saving...