Latest civil service & public affairs moves — November 4
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
- Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government: Lord Mann started work as an independent adviser on anti-semitism.
- HM Treasury: The Crown Estate - Karen Jones is appointed as board commissioner from 1st January, and James Darkins reappointed to the board.
- Department for International Trade: UK Export Finance - Carl Williamson appointed as head of trade finance.
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Richard Morris has been appointed British High Commissioner to the Republic of Fiji in succession to Ms Melanie Hopkins.
- Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport: Theatres Trust - Truda Spruyt appointed as a board member; Treasure Valuation Committee - Marian Campbell reappointed as a trustee; National Gallery - Catherine Goodman, Lord Tony Hall and Stuart Roden appointed as Trustees.
- HM Revenue & Customs: Jim Harra appointed as the new chief executive and first permanent secretary, having been in the role on an interim basis; Mark Denney appointed as interim Chief Digital and Information Officer, replacing Jacky Wright.
Scottish Parliament: David McGill took up the post of Clerk and Chief Executive to the Parliament, replacing Paul Grice.
House of Commons
- John Bercow stood down from the role of Speaker.
- John Mann stood down as Labour MP for Bassetlaw to join the House of Lords.
- Antoinette Sandbach joined the Liberal Democrats.
- Alistair Burt, Caroline Nokes, Greg Clark, Nicholas Soames, Ed Vaizey, Margot James, Richard Benyon, Stephen Hammond, Steve Brine and Richard Harrington has the Conservative Whip restored.
- West Sussex County Council: Paul Marshall replaced Louise Goldsmith as leader.
- Newry, Mourne and Down District Council: Liam Hannaway stood down as chief executive.
- By-election Results 31 October: Worcestershire Council - Kyle Daisley elected for Bromsgrove South - Conservative gain from Labour (caused by the resignation of Labour councillor Chris Bloore).
If you and your organisation would like to be included in this section, then email us at email@example.com
- UK Youth - Ndidi Okezie to replace Anna Smee as chief executive.
On this week's Civil Service World Podcast, Suzannah Brecknell and Jess Bowie are discussing...
Decide how to run your private office and build strong relationships across government – IfG’s tips for incoming ministers
"The private office provides continuity through changes of minister": the paper tells...
Civil servants working up merger plans, reports say
Document latest in series of leaks that flag concerns over next steps for Boris Johnson’s...
BT takes a look at the shifting nature of cyber threats, and how organisations can detect and...
Microsoft shows a few of the ways that governments can turn data into insight
With the ‘low-hanging fruit’ exhausted, the public sector must approach new government saving...
TCS is keen to contribute to the topic of successful partnerships between the public and private...