Latest civil service & public affairs moves — October 8
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
Houses of Parliament
- House of Lords: Lord Prior of Brampton resigned the Conservative Whip to sit as a Crossbencher due to his NHS Chair appointment.
- Department for International Development: Marc Bolland appointed to the board as lead non-executive director, and Alan Johnson appointed to the board as chair of the risk and assurance committee.
- Department for Health and Social Care: NHS England – Lord Prior of Brampton appointed as Chair from 31 October; Care Quality Commission – Andrea Sutcliffe to stand down as Chief Inspector of Adult Social Care at the end of the year.
- HM Treasury: Office of Tax Simplification - Paul Morton stood down as tax director and Angela Knight to stand down as chair once a replacement for both roles is announced.
- Scottish Labour Party changes: Jackie Baillie left post as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Economy, Jobs and Fair Work; Anas Sarwar left post as shadow cabinet secretary for health and sport; Colin Smyth appointed shadow cabinet secretary for infrastructure, connectivity and transport; Alex Rowley appointed shadow cabinet secretary for communities and local government; Pauline McNeil appointed shadow cabinet secretary for equalities, housing and social security; Rhoda Grant appointed shadow cabinet secretary for rural economy; Monica Lennon appointed shadow cabinet secretary for health and sport; Richard Leonard assumed the economy brief.
By-election Results 4 October: Cambridgeshire Council – Mark Goldsack elected for Soham North & Isleham – Conservative hold. (Paul Raynes resigned); Chesterfield Council – Tony Rogers elected for Moor – Liberal Democrat gain from Labour. (Keith Brown died); Hambleton Council – Dave Elders elected for Thirsk – Conservative hold. (Janet Watson resigned).
- Legal & General Group plc: Henrietta Baldock appointed as an independent non-executive director.
- Nursing and Midwifery Council: Andrea Sutcliffe to become chief executive and registrar in January.
- Small Charities Coalition: Mandy Johnson resigned as chief executive.
- UN Women National Committee: Baroness Verma appointed as chair.
- Carers UK: Helen Walker appointed as chief executive, replacing Heléna Herklots.
- League Against Cruel Sports: Andy Knott appointed as chief executive.
- LifeArc: Melanie Lee to replace Dave Tapolczay as chief executive on 1 November.
- YHA: Anita Kerwin-Nye named as director of strategy and engagement.
- Step Together: Anna-Clare Temple appointed as chief executive.
- FTI: Stephen Day to become a partner.
- FleishmanHillard Fishburn: Tomos Davies named as an associate director.
- National Association for Voluntary and Community Action: John Tizard appointed as chair.
Sir Mark Sedwill reflects on becoming cabinet secretary, dealing with Brexit and the Brilliant Civil Service in action
With the end of 2018 fast approaching, we asked the UK's top civil servants to look back at the...
Planning for EU exit means a host of policy areas are being ignored, according to MPs
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at...
John Manzoni and Sir Mark Sedwill share "inconvenient" warnings about "disorderly" no-deal...
BT takes a look at the shifting nature of cyber threats, and how organisations can detect and...
Microsoft shows a few of the ways that governments can turn data into insight
With the ‘low-hanging fruit’ exhausted, the public sector must approach new government saving...
TCS is keen to contribute to the topic of successful partnerships between the public and private...