Latest civil service & public affairs moves – March 20
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via the Dods People team
- Prime Minister's Office – The Reverend Dr Matthew Porter appointed as Suffragan Bishop of Bolton, succeeding The Right Reverend Mark Ashcroft following his retirement. The Reverend Canon Sarah Foot appointed as dean of Christ Church, Oxford from 1 July, succeeding The Very Reverend Martyn Percy.
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs: Environment Agency – Philip Duffy appointed as chief executive from 1 July.
- Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office – Stephen Conlon appointed as His Majesty’s ambassador to Turkmenistan from May, succeeding Lucia Wilde who will be transferring to another civil service appointment. Edward Hobart appointed as His Majesty’s ambassador to the United Arab Emirates from May, succeeding Patrick Moody who will be transferring to another diplomatic service appointment.
- Ministry of Justice: Gov Facility Services Ltd – James Hayward re-appointed as non-executive director for three years from 1 April. Independent Advisory Panel on Deaths in Custody – Raj Desai appointed as member from 13 March until 12 March 2026.
- Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities: Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council – Kim Bromley-Derry appointed as lead commissioner. Thurrock Council – Dave Smith appointed as managing director commissioner until 15 March 2025.
- Northern Ireland Office: Electoral Office for Northern Ireland – Sarah Ling temporarily appointed as chief electoral officer for Northern Ireland from 3 April for a maximum period of three months until a new chief electoral officer is able to take up the role.
- Education Workforce Council – Theresa Evans-Rickards, Jane Jenkins, Rosemary Jones, Kathryn Robson, Bethan Thomas and Geraint Williams appointed as members from 1 April for four years; Kelly Edwards, Eithne Hughes, Nicola Stubbins, Gwawr Taylor, Susan Walker and David Williams re-appointed as members from 1 April for four years.
- Natural Resources Wales – Pete Fox, Kathleen Palmer, Helen Pittaway and Rhys Jones appointed as members to the board until 31 October 2026 and 31 October 2027; Calvin Jones and Mark McKenna re-appointed as members to the board until 31 October 2028.
Houses of Parliament
House of Commons
- Education Committee – Mohammad Yasin added; Kate Osborne discharged.
House of Lords
- Baroness Masham of Ilton (crossbench, life peer) died on 12 March.
- The Bishop of Sheffield’s introduction to the Lords took place on 14 March.
- The Bishop of Carlisle is due to retire from his role and the House of Lords on 31 August.
Interested in an updated contact list of local government leaders? Get in contact with your Dods account manager or customer services for more details
- Exeter City Council – Bindu Arjoon appointed as chief executive.
- Middlesbrough Council – Tony Parkinson to stand down as chief executive on 24 March.
If you and your organisation would like to be included in this section, then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- British Swimming – Drew Barrand appointed as chief executive from May.
- G15 – Fiona Fletcher-Smith appointed as chair.
- Groundswell – Michael Chandler appointed as chief executive from 7 June.
- DMGT – Tim Collier appointed as chief executive.