- Cabinet Office: House of Lords Appointments Commission – Baroness Deech appointed as chair from 13 November. Government Property Agency – Mark Bourgeois appointed as interim chief executive Officer.
- Department for Culture, Media and Sport: Arts Council England – Sally Shaw appointed as south east area chair for four years from 1 December; Annabel Turpin appointed as north area chair for four years from 1 December.
- Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office – Jonathan Hargreaves appointed as His Majesty’s ambassador to the Republic of Kosovo from early 2024, succeeding Nicholas Abbott who will be transferring to another Diplomatic Service appointment.
- Ministry of Justice:Tribunal Procedure Committee – Matthew Jackson appointed as member for three years until 6 November 2026. Privy Council Office – Victoria Atkins appointed as a privy counsellor on 15 November.
- HM Treasury: Royal Mint Advisory Committee – Dr Alexandra Harris and Adam Dant appointed for five years from 20 November.
Details of the reshuffle can be found here: https://bit.ly/49BiOxB
Houses of Parliament
House of Commons
- Backbench Business Committee chair – Ian Mearns re-elected as chair for this session on 15 November.
- Northern Ireland Affairs Committee chair – Nominations are now open for the position of chair, following the appointment of Simon Hoare as a minister in the Department of Levelling Up, Housing and Communities. Nominations close at noon on 28 November. If there is more than one candidate, a ballot of the whole House will take place on 29 November between 11.00 and 14.30.
- European Scrutiny Committee – Andrea Jenkyns added; John Baron discharged.
- Joint Committee on the National Security Strategy – Robert Courts added; Tobias Ellwood discharged.
House of Lords
- Lord Cotter (Lib Dem, life peer) died on 14 November.
- Lord Rowe-Beddoe (Crossbench, life peer) has died.
- David Cameron raised to the peerage as Lord Cameron of Chipping Norton on 17 November; he will be introduced in the House of Lords on 20 November.
- The Bishop of Ely became Bishop of Lincoln on 15 November; he will be introduced in the House of Lords on 21 November.
- The Bishop of Hereford and Bishop of Winchester joined the House of Lords on 15 November; the dates of their introductions to the House of Lords are still to be announced.
- Baroness Carr of Walton-on-the-Hill will be introduced in the House of Lords on 30 November.
- Earl of Shrewsbury and Waterford was a non-affiliated peer, now Conservative.
- The following members re-appointed as deputy chairmen of committees for this session:
Lord Ashton of Hyde, Baroness Barker, Lord Beith, Baroness Bull, Viscount Colville of Culross, Lord Duncan of Springbank, Lord Faulkner of Worcester, Baroness Finlay of Llandaff, Baroness Fookes, Baroness Garden of Frognal, Lord Geddes, Lord Haskel, Baroness Healy of Primrose Hill, Baroness Henig, Baroness Kennedy of Cradley, Lord Kennedy of Southwark, Earl of Kinnoull, Lord Lexden, Baroness McIntosh of Hudnall, Baroness Morris of Bolton, Baroness Newlove, Baroness Pitkeathley, Lord Russell of Liverpool, Baroness Scott of Needham Market, Lord Stoneham of Droxford, Baroness Watkins of Tavistock, Baroness Williams of Trafford and Lord Young of Cookham; Viscount Stansgate appointed as Deputy chairmen of Committees for this session, replacing Lord McNicol of West Kilbride.
- Parliamentary Office of Science and Technology – Baroness Brown of Cambridge, Lord Haskel, Lord Ravensdale and Lord Winston re-appointed to the board.
- Sub-Committee on the Protocol on Ireland/Northern Ireland renamed to Sub-Committee on the Windsor Framework on 14 November; membership and remit remain the same.
- Paula Barker resigned as shadow minister for devolution and the English regions on 16 November.
- Rachel Hopkins left her role as shadow minister for veterans on 16 November.
- Afzal Khan resigned as shadow minister for exports on 16 November.
- Sarah Owen left her role as shadow minister for local government, faith and communities on 16 November.
- Jess Phillips resigned as shadow minister for domestic violence and safeguarding on 16 November.
- Yasmin Qureshi resigned as shadow minister for women and equalities on 16 November.
- Naz Shah left her role as shadow minister for crime reduction on 16 November.
- Andy Slaughter left his role as shadow solicitor general on 16 November.
- Delegated Powers and Law Reform Committee – Colin Smyth added; Mercedes Villalba discharged.
Interested in an updated contact list of Local Government leaders – including new council leaders following the May 2023 elections. Get in contact with your Dods Account Manager or Customer Services for more details.
- Antrim and Newtownabbey Borough Council – Richard Baker appointed as chief executive from 13 November.
- Warrington Borough Council – Hans Mundry appointed as leader of the council; Janet Henshaw appointed as deputy leader of the council.
- Bradford Culture Company – Kersten England appointed as chair and will lead Bradford's City of Culture 2025.
- British Polio Fellowship – Anum Qaisar appointed as patron.
- Royal British Legion – Charles Byrne to stand down as director-general this month; Mark Atkinson appointed as director-general from early 2024; Antony Baines appointed interim director-general until Atkinson joins.
- Royal National Institute for Deaf People – Mark Atkinson to stand down as chief executive; Harriet Oppenheimer appointed as chief executive.
Need to contact civil servants and politicians? Find out more about Dods Political Intelligence