Boris Johnson to form 'Taskforce Europe' to take charge of EU trade talks
Unit set to be formed in the Cabinet Office following DExEU abolition
Photo: Adobe Stock
Boris Johnson is preparing to set up a dedicated Brexit team by the end of this month as he seeks to take control of talks on Britain’s future relationship with the European Union.
The unit – reportedly dubbed ‘Taskforce Europe’ – will replace the Department for Exiting the European Union when it shuts down on 31 January, when Britain is due to leave the EU.
- DExEU to close on 31 January
- Moriarty praises DExEU as ‘department like no other’ as closure looms
- DExEU perm sec Clare Moriarty on taking time to recharge, reset, reflect
This is in line with a recommendation by the Institute for Government last month that DExEU's functions should be allocated to the Cabinet Office because the prime minister, rather than any departmental secretary of state, will be the ultimate decision maker in talks with the EU on the future trading relationship.
The move is one of a number of planned post-Brexit machinery of government changes, with several departments set to be merged or rebadged.
The unit will be led by Johnson’s most senior Europe adviser David Frost and will be responsible for implementing the withdrawal agreement as well as leading on negotiations for a free-trade agreement with the EU.
The naming of the group mirrors that of the EU side, which has set up its own "Task Force for Relations with the United Kingdom".
A government source said: "In 2020, we will move forward to establish a future relationship and free-trade agreement with the EU.
"Following the election, the government has a clear and renewed mandate to achieve this. We want our new relationship to be based on an ambitious free-trade agreement, and a close friendship between sovereign equals."
The reports come after the president of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, cast doubt on Johnson's timetable for agreeing a pact.
Britain is due to remain in a transition period with the EU, staying broadly aligned with its rules, until the end of 2020. Johnson has vowed not to extend that period, fixing a deadline to discussions on the deal that will replace it.
Von der Leyen, who took over from Jean-Claude Juncker in December, said she had “serious concern” over the limited time available for the second round of talks.
She told French newspaper Les Echos: "It’s not only about negotiating a free-trade deal but many other subjects."
The commission president added: "It seems to me that on both sides we must ask ourselves seriously if all these negotiations are feasible in such a short time."
But government sources told the Mail on Sunday that her comments were "tactics and bluster" and argued that any "genuinely held concerns about timing" should have been raised during talks on the withdrawal agreement.
In our January issue, CSW asks experts to give their thoughts on the new government’s...
Grant Shapps vows to 'undo the damage' of 1960s Beeching rail cuts with £500m fund to reopen...
Around one third of UK citizens said they had looked at EU exit info, a figure "broadly...
Boris Johnson to take personal charge of post-Brexit trade talks supported by a 'small and agile...
How can local authorities and government departments ensure that civil servants are able to...
BT takes a look at the shifting nature of cyber threats, and how organisations can detect and...
Microsoft shows a few of the ways that governments can turn data into insight
With the ‘low-hanging fruit’ exhausted, the public sector must approach new government saving...