Latest civil service & public affairs moves — June 14
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
- Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government – Lord Porter appointed as Non-executive Director. Homes England – Peter Denton to become Chief Executive later this year, replacing Gordon More who has been in the role on an interim basis. Regulator of Social Housing – Geoff Smyth, Kalpesh Brahmbhatt and Sukhvinder Kaur-Stubbs named as Non-executive Members.
- Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy: UK Space Agency – Paul Bate to become Chief Executive on 6th September. UK Research and Innovation – Andrew Mackenzie named as preferred candidate for Chair.
- Home Office – Patricia Hayes appointed as Second Permanent Secretary. Security Industry Authority – Heather Baily started work as Chair.
- Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office – Brian Davidson CMG has been appointed Her Majesty's Consul-General to Hong Kong and Non-Resident Consul-General to Macao in July.
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs: Office for Environmental Protection – Paul Leinster, Richard Macrory, Dan Laffoley and Julie Hill have been appointed to the Board.
- Ministry of Justice: Family Procedure Rule Committee – Tony McGovern and Bill Turner appointed as members, Poonam Bhari, Graeme Fraser and Rhys Taylor appointed as practitioner members and Melanie Carew reappointed as a member. HM Prisons and Probation Service – David Bernstein, Heather Savory and Nick Folland appointed as Non-executive Directors.
- Department for Education: Education and Skills Funding Agency – Warwick Sharp appointed as Director, Academies and Maintained Schools, having been in the role on an interim basis. Student Loans Company Ltd – Chris Larmer appointed as Executive Director, Operations.
- Ministry of Defence: Defence Science and Technology Laboratory – Linda Knutsen appointed Head of Dstl’s Exploration Division.
- Department of Health and Social Care – Eddie Gray appointed as Chair of the Antivirals Taskforce.
Northern Ireland Civil Service
- Jayne Brady to be the new Head of the Civil Service, replacing Jenny Pyper who has been in the role on an interim basis.
Houses of Parliament
House of Lords
- Bishop of Portsmouth (Non-affiliated) retired from the House of Lords on 31st May.
House of Commons
- Justice Committee – Laura Farris replaced John Howell as a member.
- Women and Equalities Committee – Lee Anderson and Philip Davies replaced Ben Bradley and Peter Gibson as members.
Scottish National Party
- Joanna Cherry resigned from the national executive.
- Douglas Chapman resigned as the party Treasurer.
Northern Ireland Executive
- Paul Given put forward to become First Minister, subject to approval.
- Gary Middleton to be Junior Minister in the Executive Office.
- Michelle McIlveen to be Education Minister, replacing Peter Weir.
- Paul Frew will be Economy Minister, replacing Diane Dodds.
- Joanne Bunting will be Chief Whip.
Northern Ireland Parliament
- Gordon Lyons to be Vice-chair of the Health Committee.
- Jonathan Buckley and David Hilditch to be Chair and Vice-chair of the Infrastructure Committee.
- William Irwin will be Vice-chair of the Audit Committee.
- Pam Cameron will be the Chair of the Assembly and Executive Review Committee.
- Meryvn Storey will be Chair of Justice Committee.
- Tom Buchanan will be Vice-chair of Procedures Committee.
- Keith Buchanan will be Chair of the Finance Committee.
- William Humphrey will be Chair of the Public Accounts Committee.
- Gordon Macdonald appointed as SNP Chief Whip (formerly Depute Whip).
Scottish Liberal Democrats
- Willie Rennie remains as Spokesperson for Finance, Constitution, Europe and External Affairs.
- Beatrice Wishart reappointed as Spokesperson for Education and Skills.
- Alex Cole-Hamilton reappointed as Spokesperson for Health and Sport.
- Liam McArthur appointed as Spokesperson for Justice and Energy (formerly Scottish Liberal Democrat Spokesperson for Justice).
- Jackie Baillie appointed as Deputy Leader, Scottish Labour; Scottish Labour Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Covid Recovery and Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Health and Social Care (formerly Deputy Leader; Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Health, Social Care and Equalities).
- Claire Baker appointed as Shadow Minister for Drugs Policy (formerly Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Culture).
- Sarah Boyack appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for the Constitution, External Affairs and Culture (formerly Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform).
- Carol Mochan appointed as Shadow Minister for Mental Wellbeing, Women's Health and Sport.
- Paul O'Kane appointed as Shadow Minister for Public Health and Social Care.
- Neil Bibby appointed as Shadow Minister for Parliamentary Business and Transport (formerly Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Justice).
- Rhoda Grant appointed as Shadow Minister for Land Reform, Islands and Chief Whip (formerly Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Rural Economy and Tourism).
- Daniel Johnson appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Finance and the Economy (formerly Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Finance).
- Paul Sweeney appointed as Shadow Minister for Employment and Public Finance.
- Monica Lennon appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Net Zero, Energy and Transport (formerly Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Economy and Fair Work).
- Mercedes Villalba appointed as Shadow Minister for Environment and Biodiversity.
- Michael Marra appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Education and Skills.
- Martin Whitfield appointed as Shadow Minister for Children and Young People, Lifelong Learning and Youth Employment.
- Pauline McNeill appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Justice (formerly Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Communities, Local Government and Housing).
- Katy Clark appointed as Shadow Minister for Community Safety.
- Mark Griffin appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Housing and Local Government.
- Pam Duncan-Glancy appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Social Justice and Social Security.
- Colin Smyth appointed as Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Economic Development and Rural Affairs (formerly Shadow Cabinet Secretary for Constitution, Europe and External Affairs).
- Foysol Choudhury appointed as Shadow Minister for Culture, Europe and International Development.
If you and your organisation would like to be included in this section, then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- FTI Consulting – Claire O’Neill appointed as Senior Adviser, EMEA.
- Guardian Media Group – Annette Thomas to stand down as Chief Executive.
- Mars UK - William Blomefield appointed as UK Public Affairs Director.