Latest civil service & public affairs moves — October 9
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
- Foreign and Commonwealth Office: Carolyn Davidson has been appointed Her Majesty’s ambassador to the Republic of Guatemala in succession to Tom Carter; Tom Carter has been appointed Her Majesty’s non-resident ambassador to the Republic of Honduras in succession to Carolyn Davidson; Nick Archer has been appointed Her Majesty's ambassador to the Czech Republic in succession to Jan Thompson, starting in January; Rachel Galloway has been appointed Her Majesty’s Ambassador to the Republic of Macedonia in succession to Charles Garrett, starting in July.
- Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy: Paul Uppal appointed to the newly-established post of small business commissioner.
- Ministry of Defence: Single Source Regulations Office – Marcine Waterman to stand down as chief executive on 24th October. Neil Swift to take the role on an interim basis.
- Department for Exiting the European Union: Chris Hobley replaces Catherine Webb as director, market access and budget; Phelim Usher-Purves to become a policy adviser.
- Cabinet Office: Catherine Webb named as director, EU internal issues.
- Department for International Development: Matthew Rycroft to become the new permanent secretary from January.
- UKIP: Henry Bolton elected as the new leader.
- Scottish Government: Scottish Fire and Rescue Service – Kirsty Darwent replaced Pat Watters as chair.
Local Authorities: by-election results 5 October
- Adur Council – Lee Andrew Cohen elected for Mash Barn – Labour gain from UKIP.
- Cheshire East Council – Joy Bratherton elected for Crewe East – Labour hold.
- Hertsmere Council – Jeremy Newmark elected for Borehamwood Kenilworth – Labour gain from Conservative.
- Hinckley and Bosworth Council – David William MacDonald elected for Burbage Sketchley and Stretton – Conservative hold.
- Redcar and Cleveland Council – Deborah Lynne Dowson elected for St Germains – Liberal Democrat hold.
- Salford City – Mike Pevitt elected for Claremont – Labour hold.
- South Bucks Council – Matt Bezzant elected for Burnham Lent Rise & Taplow – Conservative hold.
- Warwick Council – Trevor Alexander Churchill Wright elected for Stoneleigh & Cubbinton – Conservative hold.
- Independent Press Standards Organisation Complaints Committee – Nazir Afzal, Miranda Winram and Andrew Pettie appointed as members.
- Cancer Research UK – Harpal Kumar to stand down as chief executive in the spring.
- Social Investment Business – Nick Temple to become chief executive in January.
- St John Ambulance – Martin Houghton-Brown to become chief executive in January.
- Delineate – Paul Edwards to become a board member.
Emails reveal Sue Gray was unhappy with foreign secretary’s decision to waive £6,000 room charge...
Council to bankroll new office development in drive for share of Brexit-related quango...
Firm says bolstered transparency, a fair dealing ethos and more break-clauses should be...
Theresa May will set out her confirmed Brexit strategy next week following talks between top...
BT takes a look at the shifting nature of cyber threats, and how organisations can detect and...
Microsoft shows a few of the ways that governments can turn data into insight
With the ‘low-hanging fruit’ exhausted, the public sector must approach new government saving...
TCS is keen to contribute to the topic of successful partnerships between the public and private...