Man charged over attack on MHCLG civil servant
Dominic Hornberger remanded in custody until 13 September
The Metropolitan Police has announced that a man has been charged in relation to the stabbing of a Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government civil servant outside the building the department shares with the Home Office last week.
The force announced that Dominic Hornberger, a 29-year-old from Birmingham, was charged on Friday with grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of a knife in a public place.
He appeared at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Saturday. He was remanded in custody to appear at Southwark Crown Court on Friday, 13 September.
Following the incident at the Marsham Street building last week, cabinet secretary Sir Mark Sedwill has urged civil servants to be vigilant.
He told officials on Friday that at that time, there was “no evidence to suggest that the attack was anything other than in isolated incident”.
“So, while I would reiterate the need for colleagues everywhere to be vigilant and to take reasonable precautions for their own security, you should not be alarmed,” he said.
However, he called on staff to “look out for any signs of anxiety or distress that the incident might have caused a colleague” on the grounds that “it is normal to be unsettled by news of this kind and you should not hesitate to seek help if you think you might need it”.
“If they or you would find it helpful to talk to someone, please speak to your line manager about the staff support available in your department,” Sedwill said.
“And please remember that if you have any concerns about your department’s security or your personal safety, or if you spot any unusual behaviour, report it to your department's security team.”
MHCLG has confirmed that the man who was attacked is one of its civil servants.
Communities secretary Robert Jenrick said: “I am deeply shocked by this horrific attack on a colleague. My thoughts, and those of all my staff, are with him and his family. We are ready to provide as much support as we can and we all wish him a speedy recovery.”
He said that the department would review security across the MHCLG estate. “All our staff must feel safe as they go about their important work,” he said.
“I would like to give my heartfelt thanks to the police, ambulance service and our staff for their swift response.”
A MHCLG spokesperson told CSW last week that the department would be working with the Home Office and the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, which is also based in the 2 Marsham Street offices, to review security at the site.
Asked today, the department said it would not be providing any further information about the condition of the injured official.
Government chief commercial officer says guidance will help officials "work towards eliminating...
Civil servants offered extra leave to volunteer as special constables in drive to sign...
Probe comes after trade secretary apologises "unreservedly for the error" in granting...
National Audit Office recognises progress but says ‘significant’ time and budget challenges...
Microsoft reviews the technology that can help police officers perform their jobs more...
BT examines the role of IT in the future delivery of justice.