Latest civil service & public affairs moves – November 28
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
- Prime Minister's Office – The Venerable Dr Jane Mainwaring’s nomination to the Suffragan See of Hertford approved, succeeding The Right Reverend Dr Michael Beasley following his appointment as Bishop of Bath and Wells.
- Ministry of Defence – Defence Logistics and Support – Rear Admiral Andy Kyte CB appointed as chief, in the rank of Vice Admiral, from September 2023.
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs – Forestry Commission – The following have been appointed or reappointed as non-executive commissioners: Ross Murray appointed for a three-year term which commenced on 1 October 2022. Julia Grant reappointed for a third term of two years from 1 November 2022 until 31 October 2024. Jennie Price and Peter Latham reappointed for a second term of three years from 1 April 2022 until 31 March 2025. Marine Management Organisation – Peter Judge re-appointed to the board for four years until 31 October 2026; David Lyall re-appointed to the board for three years until 31 October 2025.
- Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office – Giles Portman appointed as ambassador to Romania in October 2023, succeeding Andrew Noble LVO.
- Government Equalities Office – Social Mobility Commission – Rob Henderson has stepped down from the commission.
- Department of Health and Social Care – Healthwatch England Committee – Belinda Black appointed as interim chair until 31 January 2023.
- Department for International Trade – Lord Johnson of Lainston appointed as minister for investment.
- Ministry of Justice – Lord Burnett of Maldon to retire as lord chief justice of England and Wales on 30 September 2023.
- Whips Office – Lord Caine appointed as a lord in waiting (Lords whip), in addition to his role as a parliamentary under secretary of state in the Northern Ireland Office.
Houses of Parliament
House of Commons
- Stretford and Urmston by-election – Statement of persons nominated here.
- Backbench Business Committee – Wendy Morton added; Jerome Mayhew discharged.
- Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy Committee – Jane Hunt added.
- Health and Social Care Committee – Caroline Johnson added; Laura Trott discharged.
- International Development Committee – David Mundell added; Dan Poulter discharged.
- Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Committee – Damien Moore added; David Mundell discharged.
- Transport Committee – Paul Howell added; Robert Largan discharged.
- Treasury Committee – John Baron, Danny Kruger, Andrea Leadsom and Anne-Marie Morris added; Gareth Davies, Kevin Hollinrake and Julie Marson discharged.
House of Lords
- Baroness Anderson of Stoke-on-Trent (Ruth Smeeth; Labour) and Lord Prentis of Leeds (Labour) were raised to the peerage on 18 November. Baroness Anderson’s introduction will be on 8 December and Lord Prentis’ on 13 December.
- Lord Peach (crossbench) and Lord Watson of Wyre Forest (Labour) were raised to the peerage on 21 November. Lord Peach’s introduction will be on 12 December. Lord Watson’s introduction date still to be confirmed.
- The following have been reappointed as vice chairs: Mohamed Y Ali, with responsibility for faith; Saqib Bhatti MP, with responsibility for business; Rachel Maclean MP, with responsibility for candidates; Paul Holmes MP, with responsibility for policy; and Craig Tracey MP, with responsibility for local government campaigns.
- Ferguson Marine Port Glasgow – Andrew Miller appointed as chair for three years from 1 December.
Interested in an updated contact list of Local Government leaders? Get in contact with your Dods Account Manager or Customer Services for more details.
- City of London Corporation – Ian Thomas CBE appointed as town clerk and chief executive from February 2023. He will leave his role as chief executive at the Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames.
- Harlow Council – Andrew Bramidge appointed as chief executive from 16 December.
- Swansea Council – Martin Nicholls appointed as chief executive. He has been interim chief executive since March.
- Wyre Council – David Henderson to stand down as council leader on 30 November.
If you and your organisation would like to be included in this section, then email us at email@example.com
- MND Association – Tanya Curry appointed as chief executive from January 2023.