Latest civil service & public affairs moves – October 18
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
- Prime Minister's Office – Sir David Lewis appointed as the UK government's supply chain adviser until end of the year. Right Reverend Dr Jonathan Frost approved for election as bishop of Portsmouth, in succession to Right Reverend Christopher Foster, following his retirement on 31 May.
- Ministry of Defence – Vice Admiral Sir Ben Key appointed as first sea lord and chief of the naval staff.
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs: Water Services Regulation Authority (Ofwat) – Jonson Cox's term as chair has been extended by six months until the end of April 2022; Mark Bayley and Alison Munro re-appointed as non-executive directors until 31 October 2025.
- Government Equalities Office: Social Mobility Commission – Katharine Birbalsingh CBE announced as the preferred candidate for chair; Birbalsingh will give evidence at a pre-appointment scrutiny session of the Women and Equalities Select Committee. Alun Francis to be named as deputy chair.
- Competition and Markets Authority – Jonathan Scott re-appointed as interim chair for a period of up to one year. A permanent chair will be recruited and announced in due course.
Houses of Parliament
House of Commons
- James Brokenshire (Conservative) died on 7 October. The date for the by-election in Old Bexley and Sidcup will be announced in due course.
House of Lords
- Malcolm Offord raised to the peerage as Lord Offord of Garvel, of Greenock in the County of Renfrewshire on 13 October.
- Lord Sharpe of Epsom appointed as a government whip (lord in waiting) on 8 October.
- Lord Bates (Conservative) granted a leave of absence from 11 October.
- Baroness Stuart of Edgbaston was sitting as non-affiliated, now crossbench.
- Lord Walney was sitting as non-affiliated, now crossbench.
- Communications and Digital Committee – Lord Foster of Bath added as a member; Baroness Grender discharged.
- Constitution Committee – Lord McAvoy added as a member; Baroness Corston discharged.
- Special Public Bill Committee (Charities Bill) – Lord Sharpe of Epsom added as a member; Baroness Barran discharged.
- Ash Denham, MSP for Edinburgh Eastern, is now known as Ash Regan.
- Legislation, Justice and Constitution Committee – Alun Davies added as a member; Jayne Bryant discharged.
- Lord Lloyd-Jones appointed as president of Welsh Law Council.
Northern Ireland Assembly
- Aisling Reilly returned as Sinn Féin MLA for Belfast West, replacing Fra McCann.
Police and crime commissioners
- Philip Allott resigned as police, fire and crime commissioner for North Yorkshire on 14 October.
- Arun District Council – James Hassett appointed as interim chief executive, succeeding Nigel Lynn who is taking up an appointment at West Berkshire Council.
- Breckland District Council – Maxine O’Mahony appointed as chief executive.
- South Oxfordshire District Council – David Rouane appointed as council leader.
If you and your organisation would like to be included in this section, then email us at email@example.com
- Scouts Scotland – Graeme Luke appointed as chief executive.
- Activate Learning – Gary Headland appointed chief executive, succeeding Sally Dicketts CBE on 1 April 2022.
- Railway Industry Association – Exports Leadership Group appointed: Munir Patel (chair), Andrew Went (vice-chair), Lucy Prior, Tim Danvers, Craig Harvey, Michael Hird, Tim Gray, Paul Goodhand, Robin Capel Dunn, Joy Grover, Gavin Panter and Jake Rudham.