Latest civil service & public affairs moves — July 2
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
- Department of Health and Social Care – Sajid Javid replaced Matt Hancock as secretary of state.
- Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office – Sandy Moss has been appointed the United Kingdom’s permanent representative to the Council of Europe in Strasbourg. Roger Stringer has been appointed Her Majesty’s ambassador to the Republic of Angola in succession to Jessica Hand.
- Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport: Advisory Council on National Records and Archives – Helen Forde, Jeannette Strickland and Stephen Hawker reappointed as members. National Lottery Community Fund – Simone Lowthe-Thomas appointed as chair of the Wales Funding Committee and Adrian Webb appointed as a board member. Sport England – Chris Boardman appointed as chair of Sport England, Katherine Grainer reappointed as chair of UK Sport.
- HM Treasury – Mark Bowman to leave his role as director general, international finance.
- Department for Education: Education and Skills Funding Agency – Eileen Milner to stand down as chief executive.
- Ministry of Justice: Criminal Procedure Rule Committee – Alison People reappointed as a barrister member.
- Competition and Markets Authority – John McInnes appointed as the senior legal director for policy and international, Ronan Flanagan as senior legal director for antitrust and Jenny Coombes as senior legal director for mergers and markets.
Houses of Parliament
House of Lords
- Lord Sainsbury of Turville (Labour, life peer) retired from House of Lords on 1st July.
- The Bishop of Chelmsford (Non-affiliated) has joined the House of Lords.
House of Commons
- Kim Leadbeater elected as the Labour MP for Batley and Spen, replacing Tracy Brabin who resigned.
- Luke Sullivan appointed as political director.
Northern Ireland Assembly
- Alex Easton resigned from the DUP and now sits as Independent.
Northern Ireland Government
- Northern Ireland Local Government Officers’ Supperannuation Committee – Derek McCallan and Heather McKinstry appointed as members.
- Scottish Commission for Public Audit – Daniel Johnson, Colin Beattie, Sharon Dowey and Mark Ruskell appointed as members.
- Newcastle City Council – Pat Ritchie to stand down as chief executive in the autumn.
If you and your organisation would like to be included in this section, then email us at email@example.com
- MillionPlus – Rachel Hewitt to become chief executive in August.
- UK Chamber of Shipping – Sarah Treseder to become chief executive in October, replacing Bob Sanguinetti.
- Centre for Ageing Better – Carole Easton has been appointed as chief executive, replacing Anna Dixon on an interim basis.