Latest civil service & public affairs moves – January 30
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via the Dods People team
- Department for Education: Office for Students – Caleb Stevens appointed as student experience board member for three years from 1 February.
- Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office – Vinay Talwar appointed as His Majesty’s ambassador to the Republic of Djibouti from April, succeeding Jo McPhail who will be transferring to another Diplomatic Service appointment. Simon Walters appointed as His Majesty's ambassador to the State of Israel from August, succeeding Neil Wigan OBE who will be transferring to another Diplomatic Service appointment.
- Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities: Office for Local Government – Lord Morse appointed as interim chair for 18 months.
Houses of Parliament
House of Commons
- Finance Committee – Craig Mackinlay, Nigel Mills and Mary Robinson added; Gareth Davies, Felicity Buchan and Harriett Baldwin discharged.
- Statutory Instruments Joint Committee – Damien Moore, Gareth Johnson and Maggie Throup added; James Davies, John Lamont and Robert Syms discharged.
- Ian Bruce appointed as the commissioner for ethical standards in public life in Scotland for six years. He has been the acting commissioner since April 2021.
- Professor Anna Glasier OBE appointed as the first women’s health champion for Scotland.
- Scrutiny of the First Minister Committee – Mark Isherwood added; Paul Davies discharged.
Northern Ireland Executive
- CAFRE College Advisory Group – Craig Blaney, William Harpur, Seamus McMenamin, Kevin Morgan and Ryan Mortimer appointed as members for three years, replacing David Brown, Nicholas Cowan, Ivor Ferguson, Mark Gowdy and Diane Ruddock.
Interested in an updated contact list of local government leaders? Get in contact with your Dods account manager or customer services for more details.
- Highland Council – Kate Lackie appointed as interim chief executive from 1 February.
- Ipswich Borough Council – Helen Pluck appointed as interim chief executive from 1 February.
- Sefton Council – Dwayne Johnson to stand down as chief executive later this year.
- Solihull Council – Nick Page has resigned as chief executive.
- Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead Council – Stephen Evans appointed as chief executive from April. He is currently chief executive of Norwich City Council.
If you and your organisation would like to be included in this section, then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Camelot UK Lotteries – Sir Hugh Robertson to stand down as Chair, Nigel Railton to stand down as chief executive and Matt Ridsdale to stand down as executive director; Clare Swindell and Neil Brocklehurst appointed as co-chief executives.
- Motor Neurone Disease Association – Tanya Curry appointed as chief executive.
- LSE – Baroness Shafik to stand down as president and vice-chancellor in summer 2023, to take up a new position as president of Columbia University in July 2023.