Latest civil service & public affairs moves – March 27
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via the Dods People team
- Government Equalities Office: BSL Advisory Board – Craig Crowley MBE appointed as co-chair; a senior civil servant will serve as the other co-chair; Joanna Atkinson, Theresa Devine, Zoe Fudge-Ajadi and Vicki Ashmore, Scott Garthwaite, Gaye Hampton, Asif Iqbal MBE, Brian Kokoruwe, Erin McCluskey, Richard MacQueen, Ahmed Mudawi, Richard Platt, Kate Reed, Sylvia Simmonds, Samantha Stocken, Mangayarkkarasy Sutharsan and Martin Thacker appointed as ,embers.
- Department of Health and Social Care: advisory committee on Clinical Impact Awards – Professor Kevin Davies re-appointed as medical director for three years from 1 July. Voluntary Scheme for Branded Medicines Pricing and Access – Sir Hugh Taylor appointed as chief negotiations adviser.
- Home Office: Disclosure and Barring Service – Neil Rhodes re-appointed as board member for three years from 1 May until 30 April 2026.
- HM Treasury: Financial Conduct Authority – Therese Chambers and Steve Smart appointed as joint executive directors of enforcement and market oversight, replacing Mark Steward who leaves the FCA on 13 April.
- Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities: Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman – Paul Najsarek appointed as interim local government and social care ombudsman and chair, Commission for Local Administration in England for six months from 1 April.
- Department for Transport: Traffic Commissioners for Great Britain – Miles Dorrington appointed as permanent traffic commissioner for the West Midlands Traffic Area; he has been acting traffic commissioner since June 2022; Catherine Moxon appointed as deputy traffic commissioner for the North of England; Dr Paul Stookes appointed as deputy traffic commissioner for the Southeast of England.
Houses of Parliament
House of Lords
- Viscount of Falkland (crossbench, hereditary peer) retired from the House of Lords on 21 March; a hereditary peer by-election will take place in due course.
Scottish National Party
- Peter Murrell resigned as chief executive on 18 March; Michael Russell (party president) appointed as acting chief executive.
- Arts Council of Wales – Maggie Russell appointed as chair for three years from 1 April.
- Cwm Taf Morgannwg University Health Board – Jonathan Morgan appointed as chair for four years from 1 April, subject to the relevant pre-appointment checks.
Northern Ireland Executive
- Children's Court Guardian Agency for Northern Ireland – David Douglas appointed as non-executive (lay) member until 31 January 2027.
- NI Judicial Appointments Commission – Mr Justice Michael Humphreys appointed as High Court judge commissioner for five years until 13 March 2028; Bernard Brady KC and Michael Robinson appointed as legal profession members for four years until 13 March 2027.
- Northern Ireland Social Care Council – Anne O'Reilly's term as non-executive (stakeholder) member extended until 30 September.
Interested in an updated contact list of local government leaders? Get in contact with your Dods account manager or customer services for more details.
- Coventry City Council – Julie Nugent appointed as chief executive.
- Kirklees Council – Jacqui Gedman to retire as chief executive.
- Middlesborough Council – Clive Heaphy appointed interim chief executive to replace Tony Parkinson who leaves the council on 24 March.
- Slough Borough Council – Lead commissioner Max Caller retired on 1 March. Finance commissioner Margaret Lee resigned on 12 March. New appointments will be made in due course.
If you and your organisation would like to be included in this section, then email us at email@example.com
Chambers of Commerce
- NI Chamber of Commerce – Suzanne Wylie appointed as chief executive.
- Brevia Energy – Angela Love appointed to advisory board.
- Dame Barbara Windsor Dementia Mission – Hilary Evans and Nadeem Sarwar appointed as co-chairs.
- Pancreatic Cancer Action – Ali Stunt to stand down as chief executive on 11 April; she will become an ambassador.
- StepChange – Vikki Brownridge appointed as chief executive from 1 May.