Latest civil service & public affairs moves – September 13
New appointments in the civil service, UK politics, and public affairs, via our colleagues at Dods People
- Prime Minister's Office – The Venerable Joanne Kelly-Moore appointed as Dean of St Albans, in succession to The Very Reverend Dr Jeffrey John following his resignation on 31 March.
- Department for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport – John Edwards confirmed as Information Commissioner following his appearance before the DCMS Committee.
- Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office – Jo Lomas appointed as UK Commonwealth Envoy in succession to Philip Parham CMG.
- Government Equalities Office – Iain Anderson appointed as LGBT Business Champion.
- Home Office – Victoria Atkins MP is now parliamentary under-secretary of state for safeguarding and Afghan Resettlement; previously parliamentary under-secretary of state for safeguarding. Roy Wilsher OBE appointed as Her Majesty's inspector of constabulary in England and Wales and inspector of fire and rescue authorities in England from the autumn.
- Ministry of Justice – Clare Wade QC appointed to conduct an independent review of the law around domestic homicides. Criminal Procedure Rule Committee – Nick Ephgrave and Folashade Abiodun re-appointed as non-judicial members for four years from 1 September.
Houses of Parliament
House of Commons
- Education Committee – Jonathan Gullis discharged; Nicola Richards added.
- Natalie Elphicke, Sir Roger Gale and Theresa Villiers suspended from the service of the House for a period of one sitting day, on 10 September.
House of Lords
- Lord Collins of Mapesbury granted a leave of absence on 9 September.
- James Kelly (former MSP) appointed as general secretary.
- Constitution, Europe, External Affairs and Culture Committee – Patrick Harvie discharged; Mark Ruskell added.
- Economy and Fair Work Committee – Lorna Slater discharged; Maggie Chapman added.
- Finance and Public Administration Committee – Patrick Harvie discharged; Ross Greer added.
- Andrew Goodall appointed as permanent secretary to the Welsh Government from November.
- Arts Council of Wales – Siân Tomos announced her retirement as Chief Executive on grounds of ill health.
Northern Ireland Assembly
- Justice Committee – Linda Dillon resigned as deputy chairperson; Sinéad Ennis added as deputy chairperson.
Northern Ireland Executive
- Department of Health – Professor Siobhan O'Neill appointed as mental health champion for Northern Ireland.
- Northern Ireland Judicial Appointments Commission – Hon Mr Justice Mark Horner appointed as member from 8 September to 7 August 2026.
- Manchester City Council – Sir Richard Leese to stand down as leader on 1 December.
If you and your organisation would like to be included in this section, then email us at email@example.com
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight Community Foundation – Jacqui Scott appointed as chief executive from 7 September.
- Institute of Imagination – Martin Allen Morales appointed as chief executive.
- Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors – Chief executive Sean Tompkins, President Kathleen Fontana, governing council chair Chris Brookes and management board chair Paul Marcuse have announced their resignations